posted this on August 05, 2010 05:56 pm
Updated May 13, 2013
Auto Import is an optional feature that allows you to connect your Gmail or Google Apps email in-box with your TripIt account.
Once connected, your travel plans are automatically added to your TripIt account. You never have to remember to forward an email. TripIt will scan your in-box multiple times a day for travel plans, then automatically import them into TripIt. You can choose whether to add plans directly to your plans or keep plans in your private "Unfiled Items" area until you place them into Trips. (At this time auto import is only offered for Gmail and Google Apps. We hope to be able to offer this feature for other email domains at a later date.)
Follow these instructions to get started with Auto Import.
1. Sign in to your TripIt account.
2. Click on the 'Start Auto Import' button on your home page.
3. Enter your Gmail or Google Apps account (it may auto fill for you).
4. Google will prompt you to let TripIt access your inbox. Click 'Grant Access'.
5. Be sure to use your GMail password (you are not giving your GMail password to TripIt nor do we have any record of it).
5. That's it! You're all ready! TripIt will scan your inbox multiple times a day for travel plans.
*Note: Make sure your in-box contains only recent confirmation emails. At sign up TripIt will look for all travel related emails in your main GMail in-box regardless of travel date (future or past). As most vendor confirmation emails do not identify the year of travel, past trips may be imported as upcoming trips as TripIt assumes undated travel is for a future trip.