TripIt provides hyperlocal safety scores for neighbourhoods around the world.
Neighbourhood Safety Scores represent risk on a 1–100-point scale, from lowest to highest. A composite score represents the overall risk for a location. Neighbourhood Safety Scores can also be broken down into categories, such as:
- Overall safety : objective measure of the safety quality at a location reflecting an average of the sub-categories below:
- Health and medical : environmental pollution and contamination, illnesses, regulation of sanitary conditions and access to medical care
- Physical harm : including muggings, drug activity, gang prevalence and police presence
- Women’s safety : including verbal harassment, physical assault, violence directed against women and adequacy of women’s support facilities
- Basic freedoms : including political unrest, limited political rights and incidences of riots and protests
- Theft : including petty theft, pickpocketing, burglaries, vehicle theft and aggravated theft
- LGBTQ safety : including likelihood of harm or discrimination against LGBTQ persons or groups and level of caution required at location
Separate scores are available for daytime and nighttime. Travellers can find safety scores for their accommodation, restaurant and activity locations within the Android, iOS and Mac app.
Neighbourhood Safety Scores are powered by our partner GeoSure , which analyses metadata captured from hundreds of trusted sources to determine destination safety. This data includes statistics from the World Health Organisation, Interpol, Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, country and city crime statistics and more. GeoSure also takes into account user reports about on-the-ground safety conditions. Through its proprietary algorithm that combines hundreds of variables specific to each neighbourhood, GeoSure produces standardised, customised safety metrics.
What is Personal Risk Level?
You can set your preferred level of personal risk to your choice of lowest, low, average, high and highest risk. When the overall nighttime risk level of a location is above your personal risk level, you will see an indicator in the trip itinerary — in the trip summary alongside the plan and in the detail screen of the plan. You can adjust your personal risk level, and you can turn this functionality on and off in Profile .
- Tap the Account tab.
- Tap Safety.
- Set your preferred level of personal risk.
Updated: 8 Feb, 2022