Your TripIt mobile app now shows your flight's carbon emissions and provides practical ideas for reducing or offsetting its environment impact.
Our goal is to help you better understand the environmental impact of your flight. That’s why we’ve made it easy for you to see, track and offset your carbon footprint. Our newest feature available on our TripIt apps tracks carbon emissions for each of your flights and suggests ways to offset that environmental impact.
(Per trip) (Annual carbon footprint)
How does it work?
With our new Carbon Footprint feature, you can:
- See your flight’s carbon emissions.
- Track your annual carbon footprint for air travel.
- Offset and reduce your environmental impact, with practical suggestions right in the app.
How is it calculated?
TripIt calculates your carbon footprint using the Greenhouse Gas Protocol, the same methodology used by American and European government agencies. We take into account factors like distance, flight class and environmental elements.
How can I offset my carbon footprint?
Non-profit organisations such as the Gold Standard vet recommend high-quality carbon offset projects you can donate to. Check out their current projects here. There are also plenty of ways to reduce your carbon footprint!
Where can I find it?
- Select your flight on our mobile app.
- Tap Carbon Footprint to view more details on how to reduce or offset your flight's footprint.
- To view the cumulative carbon footprint for all your flights in a certain year, check out your Travel Stats in the More tab. From there, tap Carbon Footprint for more info and ideas on how to reduce or offset your footprint.
Updated: 4 Feb, 2021